Saturday, January 29, 2011

Plan of Attack

For a while at least, I'm going to pretend that there is a Method to the Madness. That is not always true, in large part because I'd prefer to discuss different issues as they are interesting to Chicky, rather than because they fit with my "curriculum." That said, though, I do try to think things out a little. So, I break it down like this:

What must Chicky know?

What is Chicky curious about or confused by?

What is Chicky curious about or confused by, but too embarrassed to ask? (That one's the tricky one.)

What do I wish I had known earlier?

How do we want Chicky to relate to this information/what values are we teaching?

Sometimes this is more straightforward than others. I'll start with menstruation, because that's one of our favourite, and most comfortable, topics:

What must Chicky know? 
- What a period is (ie what happens, exactly)
- Why it happens
- At roughly what age/point in physical development it is likely to arrive
- Information about "feminine hygiene products"
- What the deal is with PMS, cramps, moodiness 

What is Chicky curious about or confused by?
- When do you get it/when do you stop getting it?
- Is it uncomfortable?
- What's the deal with pads and tampons?


What is Chicky curious about or confused by, but too embarrassed to ask?
- Seems to be not as much of an issue with this topic.

What do I wish I had known earlier?
-Tampons are only a big deal if you let them scare you (see upcoming post on "Tampon Terror")
- Menstrual fluid is not pure "fluid"-- includes bits of tissue, etc. (I know. Ewwww....)


How do we want Chicky to relate to this information/what values are we teaching?
- Periods are a natural part of the maturation process, unavoidable, and nothing to be ashamed of.
- You should be proud of your body
- It's normal and understandable to be either delighted or distressed by this change, and it's also ok if your feelings fluctuate.

Once I have a general handle on what I want the conversation to cover, it's a lot easier to dive in! And, because I'm feeling more relaxed and confident, Chicky feels that a little more too.

No comments: