Thursday, February 3, 2011

Books. Love 'em or hate 'em?

I started out writing a post about how much I LOVE sex ed books. There are "good" books and "bad" books, and a list of some of what I consider to be the "good" ones can be found on the right side of this blog. What makes a sex ed book "good," you may ask? I'll tell you:

- Scientifically accurate information/words
- Clear, easy-to-understand language
- Clear, bright, fun, accurate pictures
- Some humor

Now, you may be wondering why I said that I "started writing a post about how much I love sex ed books." I mean, isn't that what I'm doing?

Well, yes. But something happened that prevented me from going Full Steam Ahead with that plan. I discussed Sex Ed books with Chicky.

She doesn't like them.

Huh.

She likes having the conversations (really! she said so!), but doesn't like the books.

This, actually, kind of kills what I was going to write. I was going to say that I love using the books as props during conversations. I was going to say that they can be really helpful, to make you (the teacher) feel more comfortable and confident which, in turn, helps your own chicky to feel more relaxed too. I was going to say that they are useful to have at hand, just so you can keep your facts straight, and to use as a guideline for what is appropriate information to share at this stage. And, I guess, that could definitely be the case for some people.

But not us.Books are no longer welcome as full-time participants in our discussions.

Just because Chicky doesn't like the books, though, doesn't mean that I have to abandon them. Instead, I'm using them for research. Despite the fact that I know most of the information, it's nice to see how someone else is explaining it. It's good to find the least-scary, least-gross way of phrasing gross and occasionally scary information.

I like books, damnit. Whether Chicky does or not.

No comments: