Monday, February 14, 2011

Learning As They Go

Adolescence is about a lot more than growing boobs and being attracted to the opposite/same sex in a new way. It's a time of personal growth that doesn't necessarily have much to do with your physical growth and development. Some things that we always took for granted simply don't stay as they used to be.

Friendships are like that.

When we are children, friendships are simply a matter of who-likes-the-same-toys-or-has-the-same-backpack. As we get older, friendships acquire a new depth. Rather than just fun (though that's certainly part of it), friendships provide support, a sounding board, a challenge to our opinions, and so much more. I have been supremely fortunate to have had really wonderful friends throughout my life. It's something that I think is important for every person.

Part of being an adult in a child's life is modelling behaviour you want to encourage. I want to encourage healthy, fun, mutually supportive friendships. As such, it brings me great joy that Chicky and Hatchling find my friend, C.A., so wonderful. They admire her, enjoy her company, and think she is simply the coolest. I share their opinion. C.A. is a fantastic person, and the kids benefit from knowing her. Not only is it in their best interest to actually know C.A. in her own right-- she is smart, hilarious, kind, supportive, and tremendously fun-- but she is also helping them learn, simply by being her own cool self, what good friendships and marriages look like. When she and I are together, we joke around, tease each other, back each other up, and discuss ideas. She and R.A. (her husband) are relaxed and easy with each other, help each other out, and treat each other equally and with respect. The kids are seeing all of this, absorbing it, and perhaps one day will apply it to what they look for in their own friendships and romantic relationships.

They think C and R A are SO COOL. Cooler than I am, for sure.

If I have to give up the title of "coolest person ever," though, these are the people to whom I would like to surrender it.

No comments: